Saturday, December 20, 2014

In a Tough Spot?

Matthew Henry's thoughts on reading in Psalm 31:
Instead of yielding to impatience or despondency under our troubles, we should turn our thoughts to the goodness of the Lord towards those who fear and trust in Him. ... Let not any yield to unbelief, or think, under discouraging circumstances, that they are cut off from before the eyes of the Lord, and left to the pride of men. 
I could not dare to quote the comments above if I had not seen the Goodness of the Lord in the Land of Difficulties and Troubles. The secret way of access into God's Goodness, I discovered, is no secret at all. It is found and used through fear of the Lord and trusting Him. Fear in this case means Awe. It means Amazement at the Wonder of the Love of God for all who desire its comforting, providing embrace. 
Awe of God yields trust in Him. When we see no way forward in times of need, we trust. How often I have reaffirmed, in a conversational and intense way, " God, I trust You. I have put all trust in You, and You have promised that You will not fail me in good or desperate times!" I have dared to leave it there and wait, reflect, and trust in the Lord. He has never failed me, although sometimes the answers were surprising or so practically normal- seeming that I felt amazed at the ways God works to meet the needs of anyone who loves Him.
Maybe the difficulties lie at home, or maybe at work or not having enough work. Maybe they are financial, or the expectations of others. We could name a long list of possibilities.
It is the need or worry of now that seems to be drowning us in such times. I recall, as I write, a true story in the news after a California earthquake. Rescuers searched for any possible unresued survivors of a crumbled, leaning apartment building. It was the third day they had been searching. Suddenly, they found an old lady, alive, in what had been a third or fourth floor apartment home. Her greeting to them was, in effect, "I knew you would come. I knew the Lord would not leave me here." 
They noted immediately, of course, that she was weak, thirsty, and hungry; yet she was also calm. They had water and food bars with them, and immediately gave aid, checked her out, and began to execute the plan to get her safely out of the rubble and dangerous situation. No one knew if another quake or after-shock might come at any time.
For three days and nights an old woman had escaped panic and fear, trapped among  the detritus of her former haven-home. She had prayed, trusted, and prayed and trusted more. Whatever happened, she was not alone there, hoping and waiting for the help she was confident would somehow find her.
God knows every need, everything large and small that is important to us. I sometimes wonder how many more wonders of His care I would have witnessed and experienced if trusting Him even more.
One said to Jesus, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief." Jesus taught that faith as small as a mustard seed is powerful with God.
Lord, I believe. Help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment