Saturday, March 15, 2014

Follow Your Dreams, for Goodness' Sake

2014

"I keep thinking or daydreaming about trying this or studying that, but I don't see the point. It's outside my practical life. So, what would be the point of following ideas?"

Thinking about "the point" comes naturally to those of us who over-analyze. This is clear to a young girl, Mary, of the children's classic, The Secret Garden. Mary wants to restore a long-neglected garden that lies dying behind a locked gate. Yet, she knows that grown ups might disapprove, based on fears or the past. "What's the point?"

In the secret garden, Mary's strong desire is reinforced by young Dickon, a new friend. Eventually, Mary's actions rebound beyond what she or Dickon could have expected. Their adventure  mysteriously connects to a lonely and extremely unlikeable boy, in fact the end-point of the story.

I recently unlocked a long-delayed dream of my own that involves much reading and study. It truly is at times a secret garden, adding color and beauty with much labor and digging. It has the encouragement of the one closest to me: my husband has never asked "Why? or "What"s the point?"

I know that lingering daydreams whisper a call for fulfillment. That's the point, one good enough to follow. What about your whispering daydreams? Can you pursue them without going into debt or somehow stepping on others' dreams? If yes, then why not follow that call, for goodness' sake?

No comments:

Post a Comment